Warentest_LogoPrivate liability insurance is often not even considered if you are from another country, but is very important to get while living in Germany. See our frequently asked questions below for more detailed information. If you are already convinced, be reassured by the high ratings by Stiftung Warentest, detailing that 111 policies are rated ‘very good' (December 2014). Four policies received an almost perfect score. Coverage is also not expensive, beginning at only 96 € per year. For those who already have private liability insurance, it is important to know that policies are constantly improving, and the tests have confirmed that those with a policy older than five years will likely get a less expensive one, with better coverage, by signing a new contract.

Below, you will find the four policies with the best scores:

If you want to access a larger range of private liability insurance offers, please review see the list on check24. Further details about the results of the tests conducted from Stiftung Warentest can be accessed here.

What you need to know

What are the most important types of insurance to get in Germany?

In Germany, there are two types of insurance which by law are mandatory:

  • health insurance
  • liability insurance for motor vehicles.

If you are planning to spend more than six months in the country however, you will definitely also want to consider investing in a household/home insurance policy to indemnify any loss or damage of your belongings. You will find the answers to any potential questions you may have regarding these types of insurance below, including an extensive section on of health insurance.

In Germany it is also quite common to get private liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung), as this kind of insurance is inexpensive (100 € a year) but offers good coverage. It provides protection for you in case of any kind of accidental negligence that causes an accident or damage to property, like your washing machine leaking water into the floor of your apartment, for example. Any damage claims could potentially be high, so this inexpensive insurance is peace of mind for a modest price.

How does car insurance work in Germany?

If you own a car or motorcycle, you are required by German law to have motor vehicle liability insurance (Autohaftpflichtversicherung), as you will not be allowed to register your vehicle without it. Your insurance certificate (Versicherungszertifikat) must be carried by you at all times and there are penalties for drivers of vehicles without valid insurance. This insurance pays for personal injury, material damage and property loss if you cause an accident or injure someone while driving your car. The cost of the insurance premium will depend on factors such as the type of vehicle (car or motorcycle), its age, and the number of years you have been driving without an accident. For more information regarding the classification of your vehicle in relation to your insurance premium please visit Typklassenverzeichnis and Regionalklassen Abfrage.

If you have a good driving record in your home country you can get credit for it in Germany, just make sure you have a letter from your insurance agent back home. There is no requirement for a driver in Germany to also have third party liability insurance, but more comprehensive motor vehicle liability insurance can also include this. Kasko, for example, is available as Teilkaskoversicherung, third party insurance which covers fire and theft and Vollkaskoversicherung, which is fully comprehensive.

Here are a few popular car insurance companies in Germany if you would like to find out more:

* For a stay of up to one year, you are not required to take out a German car insurance policy if you possess an international ‘green insurance certificate’, or if your car has a registration number from one of the following countries: EU member-countries, Greenland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, the Vatican.

Do I need a private liability insurance?

Personal liability insurance (Privathaftpflichtversicherung) is a part of Germany’s general insurance system of risk financing and offers protection against third party insurance claims. It protects policyholders against damage or loss that the holder may unintentionally cause to another person in the form of injury or property damage. This insurance is not mandatory by law, but we strongly recommend getting it. It is a very affordable insurance, at yearly rates of around 100 €, and can be very important in avoiding serious expenses, such as major accidental damage to an apartment you are renting. Foreign students holding a personal liability insurance in their home country should check whether this insurance covers them while they are in Germany. Latest test results on personal liability insurance can be checked out on the website of Stiftung Warentest here (December 2014). According to this test, the best insurance policies are:

Latest Recommendations

This selection of recommended suppliers is mainly based on the results of comparative investigations undertaken in an impartial and objective way from trustworthy institutions and magazines such as Stiftung WarentestTÜVÖkotest or Focus Money

Please contact us if you need assistance during the order process.

Latest News

Are you missing information on this topic?

We are constantly improving our site and always interested in your comments and ideas. If you are missing information or want to report a problem on the website, please send us your feedback or contact us. Thank you!